This article is a series of language learning posts by ParaSport News. The goal is to provide sport fans some very basic sport and Paralympic vocabulary so you can talk with the world about disability sport at the 2016 Summer Paralympics in Rio.
Croatian is the official language in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Serbia. It is minority language in Montenegro, Austria, Hungary, Italy and Romania. You can probably find a few people who speak the language as Croatians are very distinctive with their red and white checked flag and often matching wardrobe.
General disability words:
- Ataksija – Ataxia
- Atetoza – Athetosis
- Sljepoća – blindness
- Cerebralna paraliza – Cerebral palsy
- Multipla skleroza – Multiple sclerosis
- podiznu platformu – powered wheelchair ramp
- Oftalmopedie – Visual impairment
- kolicima – wheelchair
Sport specific words:
- Hrvatskog Paraolimpijskog Odbora – Croatian Paralympic Committee
- Paraolimpijskih igara – Paralympic Games
- Paraolimpijske igre – Paralympic Games
- Paraolimpijski školski dan – Paralympic School Day
- paraolimpijskim vrijednostima – Paralympic values
Triathlon specific words:
This sport makes its debut at the 2016 Summer Paralympics. With words from swimming, athletics and cycling, knowing a few terms here can take you a long way with other sports.
- Triatlon – Triathlon
- Biciklizam – Cycling
- Plivanje – Swimming
- Ironman – Ironman
- Maraton – Marathon