This article is a series of language learning posts by ParaSport News. The goal is to provide sport fans some very basic sport and Paralympic vocabulary so you can talk with the world about disability sport at the 2016 Summer Paralympics in Rio.
Hungarian is spoken in a number of countries including Hungary, Austria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine. The total population of speakers of this Uralic language is somewhere arround 13 million. In London, the Hungary finished 38th in the total medal count, so while you may not see the Hungarian flag raised that often, you should see it raised occassionally. The country is strongest at wheelchair fencing, though its swimmers have also performed well.
General disability words:
- Vakság – blindness
- Gyengénlátás – Visual impairment
Sport specific words:
- Paralimpiai játékok – Paralympic Games
Wheelchair rugby specific words:
- twelf Second – 12 seconds
- Labda – Ball
- Gól – Goal
- Nemzetközi Kerekesszékes-rögbiszövetséget – International Wheelchair Rugby Federation
- gyilkos labda – Murderball (Film)
- Kerekes székes rögbi – wheelchair rugby