This is posted a few days early as the writer is off to Burgos for the weekend. Like every week in disability sport, there is a lot going on across all levels. There is a fair amount of carryover of events from the previous week. For global sport fans, there rowing world championships, cycling world championships, para-triathlon world championships and the last day of the ID football world championships. There are a number of training camps and other events taking place for people interested in getting involved with sport, or getting involved with sport at a higher level. Some things look to be winding down as we transition between outdoor summer sports, and indoor summer sports and outdoor winter sports.
As always, if you’re aware of something happening, please drop us a note so we can add it to our list of upcoming events. This can be anything from club play, taster events to world championships.
- New Zealand talent identification day at Mt Ruapehu, Whakapapa & Turoa Ski Areas -on August 29,30, 31. The event is being run by Snow Sports NZ.
- European Championships Swansea start on August 14 and run until August 28.
- European Deaf Junior Athletics take place from August 21 to August 23 in Trabzon.
- Brazil is having a training camp in Sao Caetano do Sul from August 24 to August 30.
- IPC Athletics Grand Prix Final takes place on August 24 in Birmingham, Great Britain.
- Paritutu Bowls Club is having a social or league boccia event from 6pm to 7pm in New Zealand.
- Dunedein Boccia Club meets at the South Dunedin Presbyterian Church Hall on Wednesdays from 5:00 PM to 6:30pm. Paul Coffey is the local contact.
- UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships take place from August 28 – September 1 in Greenville, SC, USA.
- Diversi Sentieri is taking place in Gioia Tauro, Italy on August 30 and 31. Pasquale de Masi is a guest of honor.
- World Games Caen get underway on August 24 and continue until August 29.
- Alataa International Goalball is taking place in Amman, Jordan from August 22 to August 28.
- Stage one of the Super European Goalball League takes place in Malmö, Sweden from August 29 to August 31.
- Ecuador national goalball championships take place on August 30 and August 31.
- Inas 2014 World Football Championships wrap up Sao Paolo, Brazil on August 25.
- ITU Para-Triathlon World Championships take place August 29 to September 1 in Edmonton, Canada.
- The World Rowing Championships take place in Amsterdam from August 24 to August 31.
- Portsmouth taster day for seated volleyball club in England is having a taster day on August 27. Anyone from the area wanting to learn more about getting involved with the sport is welcome to attend.
- Critérium HI take place on August 31. It is a Belgian event for ID swimmers. The contact person is Huize Rozenwingerd.
- MedStar NRH wheelchair basketball clinic. Monday night at East County Community Recreation Center at 3310 Gateshead Manor Way, Silver Spring, MD 20904 from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
- MedStar NRH wheelchair basketball clinic. Wednesday night at Emery Recreation Center at 5701 Georgia Ave., NW Washington, D.C. from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Puerto Rico training Members of the Puerto Rico Wheelchair basketball Federation train every Wednesday between 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm in the Court Coquí Llanero, 4th section Levittown, Toa Baja.
- Two years to the day since they lost to the Netherlands in their opening match at London 2012, the GB women’s Wheelchair Basketball team will take on the Netherlands team on August 30 at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
- Brazilian National Championships take place from August 20 to August 25 in Vila Velha/ES, Brazil.
- ACTIV8 Wheelchair Rugby Competition takes place in New Zealand. The games will be 4 x 12minute running clock quarters. This is a league that will last three weeks. The league continutes on August 25.
- The Maximus Project Championship start on August 27th and run until September 2nd in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Wheelchair rugby league:
- Hereford Harriers Wheelchair Rugby Club have a practice on August 30 at The Point 4, Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DT from 9:00 – 11:00 am local time.
- Wheelchair RFL Trials will take place on August 31 at WhiteCross High School in Hereford, Herefordshire at 1:30pm in UTC+01.
- Open de Tenis en Silla de Ruedas Cidade de Ferrol, part of the Spanish Cup series, takes place on August 29, 30, 31.